All Saints Parish Church,The Bury, Odiham, Hampshire RG29 1LZ |Tel:01256 703791| email:admin@allsaintsodiham.org.uk
Registered Charity Number 1132860
Home.About us.Youth.Growing.Community.Life Events.Giving.Music.History.
We are a Fairtrade Church
Sunday 16 December
8:00 am 1662 Holy Communion
9:45 am 1662 Mattins
11:15 am Informal Carol Service

Sunday 23 December
8:30 am 1662 Holy Communion
9:45 am CW Holy Communion
11:15 am Informal Service
6:30 pm Nine Lessons and Carols

Sunday 24 December
4:00 pm Christingle/Crib Service
11:00 pm First Communion of Christmas

Monday 25 December
8:30 am 1662 Holy Communion
10:00 am Family Service
All Saints’ Odiham is the largest church in north-east Hampshire and overlooks the Bury, the core of this former market town. Evidence of all the major changes in the English church can be seen here.

In Wessex after about 700 AD the Church spread out by building ‘minsters’ where a small group of priests lived and ministered to the surrounding area. The Domesday Book shows that Odiham was one such place with three priests and two churches listed. Nothing remains of Odiham’s Saxon church. The earliest parts of the present church in the chancel and tower, dating from the early 13th Century, show that even then it was as long as it is now.   The two chancel chapels were added about this time and the wide aisles were added by the late 15th Century, giving the church its present footprint. The outstanding external feature is the brick tower built after 1647 after the old one fell down damaging the south arcade in the nave.  This was rebuilt with four bays.

Evidence of the pre-Reformation church can be seen on the north wall where the blocked entrance to a spiral stair emerges at the level where the rood beam supporting a rood loft stretched right across the church. The people’s nave was separated from the priest’s chancel, where he would have intoned the Latin mass. Vivid wall paintings and stained glass were swept away after 1535.
After the Reformation preaching became important as witnessed by the fine pulpit of 1634. The church became a preaching hall filled with box pews and some galleries. The pews were swept away by the unsentimental Victorians as part of the Oxford Movement revival and replaced by the present pews, while new stained glass replaced clear glass. They also unfortunately stripped the rendering from the external walls to reveal the flint and rubble seen today.

History provided by Derek Spruce 2014